Saturday 11 June 2011

Spying on Black Isle Brewery


It wasn’t exactly like this but it sounds cool.

Last weekend I headed up to Inverness with Dempster and Laura for the Black Isle Brewery grand opening for the new facility they just had built. We headed out just after my shift on Friday night and arrived around 10:30. His mom had prepared a really good vegetable stew type thing and both his parents were very welcoming. This house was absolutely spectacular in the dark, and the next day it got even better.

After chatting for a while, a few beers and a few more, we all decided to turn in since we had a full day of drinking ahead the next day.

When we got up we all felt pretty good and had some croissants and muesli before going for a morning hike to Rogie Falls. This place was cool and getting some fresh air was nice. Also seeing colours that aren’t grey (which all of Fraserburgh is) was pretty cool. Sadly we didn’t see the salmon.

Then it was off to the brewery. This place isn’t just a brewery; it’s an organic farm. It wasn’t like going to a brewery; it was like going to someone’s house who just happen to have one. It was a cool feeling. There were bands all day, a hog roast and lots of beer. I’ll be honest, the beers were decent for what they were (low abv beers for typical british drinkers) and lacked lots of flavours and a knowledge of how to use hops. All criticisms aside, it was cool. They are also organic but we all know that’s bullshit. Organic shit is not that great and despite what some people said it does give you a have over.

We managed to get lots of free beers since Dempster used to work there and I met a few brewers from Tempest, a place down south of Edinburgh, who were out for the day. Lots of people to meet and a few came up and introduced themselves from the Stone night in Edinburgh about a month before. It is safe to say that I didn’t recognize anyone since I was a bit too drunk that night.

Near the end of the night a big fire was started and we all chilled around it. I met a few Canadians from Halifax who were working on the farm for the summer. They don’t get paid but they get food, shelter and beer at this place. Clearly the last is most important.

Sunday was a bit rough for everyone but we did manage to go for a hike and get a great view of the entire area. Then we laid on the hill for about and hour in the heather to let the hangover pass. It helped a bit.

Highlights of the weekend
1)   The bed I had was a proper bed and was really comfy. I could have stayed there.
2)   It wasn’t worth spying on Black Isle since they are stuck in the past. Good party though.
3)   I got out of Fraserburgh and saw the highlands a bit. Beautiful landscape up there and the house that Dempsters parents have is amazing. I’m totally in for a return visit.

Ultimately, I just want to thank Dempster and his parents for having us. It was definitely the highlight of my trip so far (except maybe the Céilidh). Good weekends with Laura and Dempster seem to be what I do these days. Clearly I’ve found the coolest people in Fraserburgh and none of them are from here. It’s a hint I’m pretty sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment