Tuesday 16 August 2011

August 9- Fringe and Me Act 2


I woke up feeling great. No hangover, no sick stomach and no headache. If there is one thing I love about Scotland it is that it’s helped me not have such bad hangovers. Cheers to that.

My day started off with a quick stop into Cornelius to drop Pete and James a bottle of AB:02 and chat a bit. I got a tin of Big Swell for the road (high-class for Fringe. That’s how I roll. Like. A. Boss) and headed down town to find me some more free tickets. I also stopped by the bar and grabbed a growler of punk for the road. I went a chilled in Pleasence for a few hours, got some food and chatted to people for a bit. I got a ticket to go see 2 comedians. Gotta love free stuff.

Again, this is a show I though I might not like. Why this time? Australian? Midget? Man with a horse face? No, much more racist than that. It was a show by 2 black comedians. I’m not racist by any means (actually we are all a bit racist but we can’t help it. I have sources if you don’t believe me); I’m just not a fan of most black comedians. They are usually relying on overacting, being super loud and being black. If you know Chris Rock then you all know what I mean. I was half right. They show started off with some general banter with the audience and chat amongst the 2 of them. Then one steps to the side and the other starts his act. He was exactly what I expected and was not too happy about it. I pushed through. The next guy got up and started (through a very well done transition) and he was very good. Everything I like about comedy; Quick, relevant, clever and well timed. He didn’t do any of the usual loudness and arm waving. Half win (or is that a tie? Who cares)

Next I headed up to BrewDog to have a quick Nanny State because I had to work. That’s right everyone, I poured beers and worked for 2 hours FOR FUN. I have an odd sense of fun according to most people but for me it helps me see how much people like what I do and makes me feel all warm inside. After my “shift” I was told I had a job if I wanted one but having 2 weeks left and preferring brewing I declined for now. FOR NOW. Remember, I’m back in a year or 2 so keep that offer open.

Then Chris and I met up and headed to Pleasance for a pint of generic beer (which wasn’t offensive oddly enough) and watched the whole thing happen. A few people hyping up shows approached us but then we got an offer we couldn’t refuse: A Canadian comedian who won Newcomer of the Year at Just for Laughs. It was a sign from god (oh, take your pick of what god you want since he doesn’t exist) so there we went. Wade McElwain (Look it up and watch him). Super funny guy with a good number of jokes that are funnier to a Canadian or anyone who has visited. Did I mention this was in a venue called the Caves? They are actually caves and the ceiling drips on you. Cool stuff. Anyway, after his show on the way out I just said to him “Oh Canada” to which he laughed and started chatting. Turns out he is from the same area I’m from, went to the school my dad taught at (my dad taught him) and knows the owner of the brewery that Chris and I used to work for. We left an open invite for him at the BrewDog bar for a few pints of course. Actually, I told everyone about the bar and to go and a number of people did. Working overtime. Anyway, amazing show and worth going to if you are around. Note: Cheers to beers is a line he used a lot and it annoyed me. I tell you because you are reading this and must value my opinion somewhat.

We then headed back to the bar to see if anyone was around because if not I was going to head home early again. That just isn’t the case when I step in that bar. Kerry was back off shift with Chris from Black Isle and another guy who has name but I just can’t remember what it is. After a few more beers, including a half pint of Jah Va. I then got a very motherly talk from Kerry (It was a very drunken one at that. thanks Iain for setting that one up), which did actually make me feel a bit better.

Another badass day out in the city. Man I’m starting to miss it already and I’m only in Aberdeen right now. It seems that 2 or 3 am nights are the trend this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment