Friday 26 August 2011

Scotland- And There It Goes


Well, that’s it. As depressing as it is to say it like that, it’s true. Scotland is done, at least for now. This will be the last blog post for this one. I’m sure somewhere down the line I’ll get another one up but for now, this is it. These are my notes, in point form to save time, from the past 8 months. This isn’t a complete list I’m sure, and isn’t in order, but it’s good enough.

- Learned a lot of sweet new words
- learned more about drugs and drug use than chemistry ever taught me
- discovered what actual wind feels like. Constant and cold.
- learned to brew world class beer where I picked up the best habits of all the brewers
- was introduced to Johnny Cupcakes
- watched loads of TV shows (how I met your mother, big bang theory, the league etc.)
- went to England to see friends and drink
- tried over 250 new beers
- made lots of friends and connections in the industry
- learned loads about whisky
- got dickered twice (probably not what you think it means)
- I hate tourists despite being one. That makes me Scottish, right? Don’t come to Fringe and see the castle. Go see a show you stingy cunts
- train travel is fun and way cheaper than home
- living alone blows and I need people around to keep my sane
- people here are absolutely amazing and much nicer
- North Americans are loud apparently (I’d argue its more Americans, not Canadians)
- I love Canadian stereotypes and being Canadian more than anything
- I fell in love with this country and it breaks my heart to leave. The shitty thing about travelling is that you have to leave. If you don’t leave, you aren’t travelling are you?
- If there are any hot Scottish girls reading this, I wouldn’t mind moving back and living here down the road. ;)
- I like my beard and think I look better with it
- I love my family to bits but only in small doses
- My liver can take more now and I get less hung over for some reason. Training?
- If I’m not learning anything, I hate my life
- Rain is okay, but rainy days are amazing when you are inside. Thunder storms are still better and don’t really exist here
- I need to learn how to say goodbye so I don’t blurt out things I don’t mean and lose friends because of it. #idiot
- I’m much more drawn to performing than I’ve ever realized. I just love comedy, magic and everything Fringe has to offer. Very inspirational
- Nessie is a fuck face and never said hi
- I don’t know where I’m going but it isn’t where I am right now
- I have a problem with authority but not due to lack of entitlement
- I don’t want to just know beer, I want to know everything about the beverage industry including coffee. I will learn coffee.
- My friends mean the world to me and losing friends might be the worst thing ever
- Sorting out rooms and roommates from across the pond is a bit tricky
- I can wake up and have perfectly coherent conversations at any time
- There are no calories when travelling or at the pub. Beer does not have calories. Science fact of the day
- My hands a very beat up and tough but I now have a high tolerance to heat
- I’m a list maker (case and point right here) and count on my fingers (like I’m 4)
- Scotland has lots of sheep
- Edinburgh felt more like home than Fraserburgh ever did
- The collective group of men known as douche bags seem to be in smaller numbers
- The Scottish breakfast is actually one of the most amazing meals
- The people here are probably the nicest in the world (aside from Canadians of course)
- When in doubt, use more hops
- Trains are better than busses any day of the week
- The people I worked with are some of the greatest people I’ve ever met ever
- I might be repeating points but don’t really care because that’s how important they are
- I don’t have a drinking problem, I hardly ever spill
- Travelling takes a lot out of you but it is well worth it
- Coffee is for the weak and sleep is a bit overrated
- Cask ale isn’t all shit but BrewDog is by FAR better than it can ever be
- BrewDog bar staff are all amazing but I do have to say that Edinburgh is tied with Aberdeen, and Glasgow I just don’t know well enough
- The only animal more common to see in the fields than sheep are the noble Haggis
- I can now hear Canadian accents and yes, they do sound a bit like the stereotypes
- The word “out” is how most people distinguish Canadians from Americans
- No one likes gingers, not even gingers. Bit of a pickle isn’t it?
- Scottish Duty Free shops have a better whisky selection than the LCBO. Fail.
- Harry Potter might have been “born” in Edinburgh but he isn’t Scottish. He never gets drunk
- I love everything about beer from ideas to brewing and consumption
- I love people but fuck are most of them retarded
- “Awesome” is a very north American word to say which is too bad. It’s an awesome word.
- School sucks and at the end of the day, a degree isn’t much more than bragging rights. Marks don’t mean shit
- Engineers are useless and need to get proper jobs. Wankers
- When you do something stupid you need to laugh it off. Stupid things are usually the best stories
- Having a childs attitude but an adults intelligence is a dangerous mix. I’m bound to get beat up

There are many more and coming home is like nothing changes. As I type this I'm sitting in Northern Quebec looking out over the water on a patio at a sick chalet with 2 great friends and beer. Life is good but I miss Scotland already. I might see you guys sooner than later.

Cheers
bt

No comments:

Post a Comment