Sunday 31 July 2011

August 1- Calibration, Analysis and the Countdown

If you couldn't really tell from my last blog post that actually shared no information, at least not enough to mean anything to anyone, I've had a lot of stuff on my mind lately. Most of it I'm not going to talk about because we know I'm shit at it and frankly, most of you don't care.

This past week I've had a good number of realizations. Some I've discovered for myself and others took a comment from someone else to realize but either way, I'm learning something.

Calibration
Today at work I had my first calibration day in a while. Today reminded me why I really do love my job and why this is about to be the best summer EVER (I still have a month left, put that white towel down). A peaceful Sunday in the brew house was exactly what I needed. Only having slept about 5 hours on Friday and 6 on Saturday I was pretty tired. I didn't do any exercise on my day off and I was feeling a bit like a fat kid. Luckily everyone was tired so it was slow and nice. It was the essentials. Making beer and listening to music. I also got to shovel out the mash tun, twice. This was a good bit of endorphin release. The past few weeks I've been feeling that this brewing thing was actually becoming a job. The same stuff everyday with little to no deviation. Now for you that know me I'm never really content with what I'm doing (or I have ADD, ADHD or some odd combination of the 2) and I'm always looking for more. While I am still learning stuff everyday it isn't as much as I was months ago and it doesn't seem as useful. This is why I have a problem with school, but I won't get into that.

Analysis
Looking at yourself in a honest sense is a hard thing to do. I've been watching a good bit of Demetri Martin lately (he is a genius, so go check it out) and his show "If I" and it was kind of an eye opener. He does a "full" analysis of himself as a person and even though it is a comedy show it isn't all that funny. You get a sense of who he actually is and why his comedy is what it is. Obviously he is acting so the potential for over exaggeration is high it still makes you think. I've realized that my attitude towards partying and actually partying were converging, something I've never seen before. I'm usually all about partying verbally but when it comes down to it I like to maintain my composure and sit back. Analyze a situation and pick things apart. Since being here this sense of wonder about general interactions seems to have faded a bit. It very well might be that when I see people I get so excited that I can't help but go all out but when it is readily available (eg. at school) it seems so much less interesting. I also noticed that I have developed a need to see people as much as I can, whenever I can. This is also a fairly new. I love people, they get me thinking and entertain me but I never had such a strong urge to see people all the time. Again, it might be solely due to isolation but I just need to get out and interact with people. At school I was never like this. Most people need to spend time alone every now and then, it's a fact, and I'm no different. Now that I've been forced to spend my time alone I'm not such a fan of it. I like the option of chilling alone. Maybe I just have a problem with being pushed around by circumstance which is why I make the effort to see the people I like when I can. There was a point where I was kind of down, a bit confused and worrying a lot about my life and the fact that real life is creeping up and I think I lost track of what I'm about. I can safely say that I know again, at least for now. Shit happens and things change. It's life.

The Countdown
I have 9 shifts left. I have just over 3 weeks left in this country before I take a step closer to real life. There are loads of things I haven't done yet that I really wish I had but there are tons of things I never though I'd do that I have so I think I have, at the very least, broken even. I wanted to do some more travelling but my position at the brewery became more crucial each month as I learned more, got trained up and proved myself. I know I'll have another chance to travel so I'm not so concerned. I didn't know what a  cĂ©ilidh was before I got here and BAM, I've been to one. I have a few days of the Fringe festival coming up which will be awesome to see. Sure, I've missed things on my list but I've added more than I've missed and with just over 3 weeks left, I have a few more to add I'm sure. I am super excited about going home but not for the usual reasons. I'm stoked to see the rest of my family, especially Blake and Brooke, I'm pumped to see my friends and a bit excited to get back to school (not for classes. I'm dreading that the most). I'm most excited because I have a good number of adventures lined up. 2 week road trip with 2 good friends to the US to meet brewers, visit breweries and live it up. Trip to Michigan to see a real college football game (not soccer, football) sometime in the next few months and oddly enough, I'm excited to get home and drink all the beers I used to drink. I'm sure most of them will be dismissed as bad because I've been spoiled the past 7 months but I'm not going in hoping that. I hope this gives me a better appreciation for what they are.


I'm actually not sure where this blog came from, journeyed through or has ended up but I think it makes sense. If you want to get this information as it happens in 140 characters or less you should follow me on Twitter. btaylor55 . You might also get some cool updates about BrewDog, new beers and what secrets we are cooking up. I'm just saying, it is probably worth your while.


Rock on.

No comments:

Post a Comment