Sunday 10 July 2011

July 10- Day 4

This trip is going really quick. I mean, it is already half over and I'm pretty happy since I wasn't sure if I'd survive.

Yesterday was easily the best day so far. There is a reason I'm doing this in the AM and not last night. Any guesses?

Got up about 7, as usual, to come down, grab some food and check out what I'd missed in the world over the past few hours of sleeping. I'd usually expect all my friends to have emailed me "I miss you!!" messages but it turns out, not much happens when I'm sleeping leading me to believe that either the world stops for me, which is a touch too optimistic, or that no one gives a shit or misses me. I prefer to stick with the first option.

After a few hours of reading in the hotel lobby we then headed to WEST beer, a cool little brewpub about a 10 minute walk from the hotel. As usually happens with my planning, coordinated with the unpredictability of the scottish weather, it started to pour half way there. I'll just say that I wasn't the favourite person of us at that point.

After what was a pretty good lunch and some well done classic german beers (the word classic explains their reading on the interesting scale) with the exception of the Hefeweizen I headed back to the room. My parents went off to the science centre. I then headed to the pub.

After getting to Blackfriars and having a beer I gave Becca a call and woke her from her massive hangover coma. She then headed down to the pub and we had a beer together. I heard a lot of rumours (that may or may not be true) that were floating around the bar staff, brewery staff and the old "who likes who" thing. I also got a break down of the Taste festival. It was really funny probably helped by the fact that I was already a few beers in. She also tried to steal my work jacket but don't worry, I got it back. We were then talking about Chris, the assistant manager (maybe?) of the Glasgow bar and that he might be up for a few beers later on. 10 minutes later he showed up behind us. Clearly there is some sort of BrewDog magnetic vibe that draws other staff in. I'm hoping to get back down for the launch of the new pub but I doubt that will happen. You can always hope though.

I then left them to meet up with the family for dinner at Brel, a place I was told had good food and a decent belgian beer selection. It's true. A cozy little restaurant which was very quite, due to it being Sunday and since T in the park is this weekend. Awesome mussels and a good seafood linguine with a DT and a Brooklyn Lager. I'd say thats a good meal. After that we headed down to another pub that the cab driver told us to stop in at for a quick whisky (and 2 half pints of some generic lager for my parents). Back to the hotel then off to the other pub we were told to go to, "The Scotia Bar" which was right beside the hotel for a quick pint of some absolute shit beer. We had to go because apparently it was the oldest pub in Glasgow. Weather it was true or not I have no idea. I then took my dad to Blackfriars (for those keeping track, thats 2 times today and once the night before. I've become a regular in 2 days)

After this drinking spree I was pretty done and my tiredness didn't help much. Does anyone else notice that if you are drinking with someone and having a conversation is a challenge that you just feel drunk faster? It is definitely that way for me.

Todays drinks list
WEST Munich Red
WEST Hefe
WEST St. Mungos Lager
Titan IPA
Cutthroat Porter
Mauldons Peggottys Porter
Snake Dog IPA
DT
Brooklyn Lager
St Andrews Ale
Torpedo IPA

With the exception of 1 or 2, thats a solid day of craft beer drinking. I hope today is more of the same and we are off to EDINBURGH!! Easily my favourite city in the world. I might just not leave. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment