Thursday 7 July 2011

July 7- Day 1

Well today was day 1 of my trip around Scotland with my family. I had to work last night so I was up a bit early to see them, worked for 12 hours and then stayed up all day until 8 pm. 26 hours of awake. It's now 4 am which means I only slept 8 hours. Circadian rhythms suck.

We headed over to Dufftown today but passed GlenDronach on the way. I made my family turn the car around for a tour. When we got there I they weren't giving a tour for another hour but after a few minutes of chat with the lady, and my using my charm (haha) she offered to give us a tour anyway. The place was pretty cool and I've never been to a distillery before so I was high on life. I have photos but not uploaded right now. I'll share them with everyone individually once I'm back. I was blown away by the distillery and the set up, the technology and the general location. Tucked away in the hills in a beautiful little spot with hills all around. It would have been easy to miss if we hadn't noticed the one smallish sign.

At the end of the tour I gave her a few bottles of BrewDog for taking her lunch break to give a tour and then bought a bottle. I got to bottle it myself. It can only be done at the distillery. How could a young aspiring whisky fan (who was overtired and gitty as hell) say no to that?  My names in the book of people who have ones. This is now my prized possession since I lost the bottle of Punk I had from the first batch I mashed in. Plus you can't go and buy regular stuff at the distillery, its about the unique experience.

We then headed out to Dufftown, the place with the most distilleries per capita in the world, or something like that, for lunch and Glenfiddich. On the way I got to laughing so much from the tired and mild drunkeness that I was actually crying from laughter at absolutely nothing. (I laughed out loud while I typed that.) I will say that the lunch was pretty good at the distillery. I had haggis, neeps and tatties of course. My dad and I then went on a tour while my mom and sister headed to the car. The tour wasn't super great and wasn't nearly as in detail as the first one but at least we had the cute tour guide.

After that we headed to the hotel and I laid down for 3 minutes. We then headed out for a walk and I found a park. I just had to go play since by now I'm completely delusional and losing my mind. After a quick meal where everyone's tiredness started to show (everyone was grumpy except me. I was just spaced) we then headed back and I hit the sack immediately.

I do have lots of photos, mostly stupid ones and a few with my ass hanging out, to share with you (ass photos not included... for everyone) but just can't get them onto my computer right now.

Tomorrow: Nessie and haggis hunting, and another distillery. WEST COAST FOR LIFE!!! (or a night)

Please read responsibly.

No comments:

Post a Comment