Wednesday 11 May 2011

May 2- Canadianisms

10 days over due


It has recent been brought to my attention that the following things are very Canadian. I’d like to share them with you so that you won’t be surprised if you travel and people laugh at it. Here we go..

Eh? Yeah, it is pretty standard but it’s the one that you will get the most. My response is usually along the lines of “we just liked the letter so much we made it into a word. I mean it makes up 50% of our countries name”. Gets a good laugh and is just fun. Give it a try.

Toque- A great Canadian word for, well, a toque. I much prefer it to beanie or “tea cozy” as it has been called before (by a really dense girl but still) because frankly toque’s rock. Rock your socks off actually. Go warm heads!

Aluminum- They say it over here differently and I’m not sure why. They are just lazy British punks I guess. They argue its more correct but they also spell it differently.

Sketchy- not used so much but is replaced by dodgy (which I’ve talked about) or “jakey”. I have no idea where “jakey” comes from but its not bad.

When I had this idea I had more examples but as time goes on I’ve forgotten them. I will update this with more at a later date. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment