Friday 13 May 2011

May 6- Collaborations


Recently I’ve been thinking about how collaborations end up. While you get the odd one that ends up tasting amazing (which I think that Lost Dog will after the aging in rum casks. It tastes great already) the final product is usually a let down compared to what you may expect.

Case study- Bitch Please by BrewDog and Three Floyds

I’ll be honest; I’m a bit disappointed with this beer. It is over the top peaty, not much smokiness and is very medicinal (due to the peat) and is like drinking bog water I’ve been told by some (I’ve never drank bog water). While I don’t’ think its that bad I do think that based on the people involved and the usually stellar beer they make it was a weak effort. Both world-renowned breweries with a solid product line and some of the rarest beers in the world (End of History and Dark Lord come to mind) it was quite bad. I’ve also realized that this isn’t exclusive to beer.

Case study 2- The Travelling Wilbury’s

For those of you who know these guys you might undestand what I mean. Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, George Harrison and 2 others I can’t remember formed a band and made music. You have some of the best lyricists here and the songs mostly lack depth. The music of these individuals is far better than the collaboration (even though its not bad and I do like it). I might use George as the exception since I’m not a Beatles fan but that is just my opinion.

The difference is that in the brewing industry they are just trying crazy shit and seeing what works. The only loses will be their money but this is unlikely due to the extremely, and possibly over, dedicated group of beer geeks in the world. With music they need to make hits, sell records and make money for the label. With the Internet the way it is it’s hard to do this so you really need a bang on song/album/sex tape or whatever.

I never want to see a BrewDog sex tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment