Saturday 22 January 2011

Beer Review - Lager edition

To be honest, it is as boring as it sounds. With that out of the way, read on.


77 Lager – Juxtaposition Pilsner


Look – The look is a hard thing to truly appreciate since I’m still drinking out of a coffee mug, but I can tell you from the pour that it is pale with just a hint of darker colours. Nothing that would make you look twice.

Smell – It smells sweet, very malty. Mostly pale but there is a bit or a red licorice smell in there as well which is interesting. Most likely from the Cara we use.

Taste – It tastes like it smells with sweet malt, mostly pale and again with a touch of that licorice sweetness in there. Very little hop presence, if any, stands out.  A bit of a dry finish with a bitterness that seems more like it is from the malt than the hops.

I have brewed this beer and I can say that I’m not a huge fan. I’m not a fan of the direction they are going with it either. Sad to say, but I’ve lost a little faith.

Zeitgeist – German black lager

Look – This is a black lager. It looks like a stout and has that tan head most stouts have, but it dies quick.

Smell – Very light in aroma, nothing like a stout. Some mild coffee, and mostly just a malt flavour which is very light. Nothing jumps out.

Taste- Just like it smells. Light coffee and very malty. No hops at all which isn’t surprising, but I’d like some hops in there for me. I’m a bit of a hop head.

Haven’t brewed this one yet but I am monitoring a fermenting brew of it. All I can say is that these are not the best BrewDog has to offer but are still much better than any mass market poison out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment