Monday 31 January 2011

Exciting New Projects


Since I’ve been here, BrewDog has done a lot of new things and I’m sure I’ll be seeing many more in my time here. I've even had the chance to mash in an imperial pilsner with beer blogging legends Zak Avery, Mark Dredge and Pete Brown. Great guys. They have an exciting project coming up that I’d really like to share though. Sadly, most of you probably won't try it.

IPA is dead

IPA is dead is a series of 4 IPA’s with the same malt base. Brewed to roughly 7.5% (I can’t remember exactly) and all with the same IBU’s. You may ask “what is special about that?”. It’s a good question and I haven’t told you yet.

Each version has a different hop added to it. Each is a single hop and only a single hop. There are (obviously) 4 different hops from 4 different continents. They vary is alpha acids (so there is a change in the amount added during the boil) and each is dry hopped in the same manner. What hops you ask? There are Citra, Bramling X (cross), Nelson Sauvin (which has a cool story about the name) and Sorachi Ace (Japanese).  It will be released in a 4 pack with a bottle of each soon. Bottling starts next week I believe. This is a great project as not many IPA’s are single hopped and while not a new idea, it is a very interesting project. Wouldn’t you like to stand up countries side by side and pick your hop?

I have to say it. IPA is DEAD. Lone live IPA.

Watch for it and I hope you get a chance to try it. I’ll post my opinions once they come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment