Sunday 16 January 2011

Oh, the places you will go

As most of you can probably tell from my long walks, the time I have to write up this stuff as well as keep a personal blog and the fact that I've probably mentioned it many of times, there isn't shit to do here. I've asked many people too and some of the first advice was to get out of here and get to Aberdeen on your days off. The brewers, a few locals and even the bed and breakfast owners have told me there is nothing to do. Sounds promising.

Last night I was walking to get some fish and chips after work so I ran home, didn't shower because I was starving, changed and headed out again. I got to the place and it was closed. It was only 9pm, small town life I guess. As I was walking back to the B & B there was a group of 3 younger looking girls walking down the street. I stopped them (in the polite canadian way of course, "excuse me") and asked if there was anything to do around here. They laughed and one of them asked if I was canadian. We chatted for a bit and I explained that I worked at BrewDog and stuff. They asked me to come with them, they were heading to a pub. I didn't ask questions or hesitate (I think the only condition was that I wasn't an axe murdered. Weird worries around here but they might have confused that with lumberjack) and we started off, still chatting about why the hell I'd move up here, a question I still ask. We start to head down this back alley, and I commented on how "safe" this felt. Knowing there was a ig drug problem up here I started to worry a bit, but they seemed nice. We get into this alley and there is a pub tucked away so we step inside. Once we get in there are no seats and it is packed, something I didn't really expect. I found out the reason is because there was some sort of commemoration of Fraserburgh FC and the one girls dad was part of it. Makes sense, we are the only people under 35 I'd say. The one girls aunt offer to buy me a beer, I politely say no and tell them I'll get my own. I turn away and chat with some others and I have a beer in my hand. Amazing, these people are great. We stay for the ceremony shit and then I finish the beer. These girls CLEARLY do not want to be there so we head out and since I don't know anything, I follow after thanking the lady for the drink. I talked to lots of locals and I understood most of it, it was great. I might be "Brett from Canada" for a while if I see them. I also didn't learn their names until this point. Carly, Katie and Mary. They work as a gardener, for an oil company and an oil company respectively. North Sea, oil? Never knew.

We start walking down toward the bowling alley, the one thing I have been told that you can do here. I learn that one girl works there so we enter and another girls brother is there with some friends. We start chatting and next thing I know, I have another pint in my hand. These people are mental. I love it. We then start to bowl. I keep offering to buy a round of drinks since these people are so great about it and they will NOT let me pay. Nothing, not even 1 or the bowling. So we bowl for an hour and I did pretty well for my first time in 3 years (??) and had a blast. We talked about Canadian and Scottish music and sports, the country and just normal stuff that people talk about. Cool.

Bowling ends and I'm ready to head out and go for a walk down the beach, something I have really started to love doing when I can. This "leisure centre" has a bowling alley, and a bar. Guess where we go. Next thing I know, the one girls brother buys me a drink. I insist that I get this one. Not happening. So we stand around the bar and chat for about 30 minutes and they are telling me crazy stories about traveling to canada, cop cars and hostels with aussies. They aren't to keen on aussies, but love Kiwi's, which I had a laugh at. We talked about BrewDog, whisky and just random stuff. I felt like I'd known these people for months the way everything was. Just so unreal. Once we finally left I went down to the brewery to see if the guys were on lunch and hang out for a bit. Luckily they were so I stayed and hung out.

All of the people who have told me that there is nothing to do here, as I've learned from telling a few people the story, haven't looked or tried at all. And it really made my realize something. Well, 2 things. I hate getting up for breakfast at a set time. It sucks.

The other, more important thing is that I am VERY used to the city, a place where approaching people on the street even if you were foreign would not come with an invitation to the bar let alone 3 beers bought for you by strangers. This is absolutely great. I am so used to a city that I was hesitant to ask locals about something to do, I just asked the people I "know". I didn't come here to live in a city and make beer like I could anywhere at home. I came to have an adventure and experience new things. I like the change of pace, the scenery and the friendliness of everyone around here. Things like these are more important that making money, being a brewer or as part of my school program. This was such an eye opening experience and I'm so happy with the town right now. People don't like small towns because there are boring. Fun is where you make it, and as I finish, fun is a skype BOC with Mike. Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. good luck trying to pay for a beer where there is a hospitable brit around. especially if you are in their local. its like a conspiracy between them and the bartender. hahah

    ReplyDelete