Thursday 20 January 2011

Diet

For the 19th.


Since I’ve been here, my diet has changed quite a bit. Let’s walk through my day of meals.

Breakfast

Since I’m still at a Bed & Breakfast, I get a freshly cooked Scottish breakfast every morning. For those who don’t know what that entails, let me share. Everyday I get an egg and 2 pieces of bacon for sure. Most days I get a hash brown and a square sausage. Every few days I usually get mushrooms and tomatoes as well as black pudding which is similar to haggis I’m told, some other round meat thing with raisons and of course I eat my cereal. I also get tea and orange juice. I understand not why people drink coffee everyday (other than from addiction). It warms you up and I really like tea in the morning now. Once I move out I’ll be back to cereal but I may keep tea on the agenda. As you can tell already, there is loads of salt, protein and fat to start my day. It is good since I work hard but man it gets heavy.

Examples



Lunch

Lunch is usually one of 3 things: A peanut butter and banana sandwich hot dog style, a ham sandwich with cheese or a ready prepared meal that I throw in the microwave. At happens at about 2pm. I leave about 6 hours between meals. The ready-made meals are about 50% of my daily sodium alone but are decent calorie wise. I also usually eat at least 2 pieces of fruit and up to 2 bags of chips (or animal crackers or rice cakes) a day. It sounds like a lot but I’d love to know how many calories I burn. I also drink lots of water and juice to keep me hydrated. On top of my work schedule I walk everywhere as well as all day at work so I need the liquid.

Dinner

Dinner is very similar to lunch: PB and banana, sandwich or prepared meal. Since I don’t have a kitchen I can’t make much and I love the foods I eat so I’m not suffering. I then also usually have a bag of chips, rice cakes or animal crackers with dinner depending on how many bags I have a day. I’d say I average about 2. I also have fruit as part of or as desert. I also usually have juice or a beer or 2 with dinner. Sometimes the beer comes at the end of the day. I average about 2 a day thus far which I think is pretty controlled.

Conclusions

This diet for breakfast is heavy and killer (literally). I can’t wait until I get cereal everyday and can wake up when I want to. Lunch is repetitive but I need the energy at work from the foods I eat. Dinner is the same story. Overall I’m eating more junk food, although I am finding the healthier of the junk food, but am also eating more fruit. Does it balance out? I think so, as these foods are both good and it isn’t like I’m sitting in a classroom all day doing next to nothing and then consuming these foods. I’m working for 12 hours, at least 10.5 of which I’m on my feet, and learning a hell of a lot. And when I get to the end, I gotta start all over again. Look at your diet, does it fit your lifestyle?

3 comments:

  1. That is fucking intense! I have a pack of oatmeal in the morning with water, a peanut butter sandwich for lunch and another sandwich with beer for dinner. That is pretty much it. I guess A: Your diet is a scottish diet and B: I barely move throughout my entire day. Even so, your diet is intense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a heads up, the blood pudding consists of oats, spices and usually pig blood. Sounds gross but it tastes amazing. You forgot to mention the baked beans too, the best part of a Scottish breakfest

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get food that I don't know what it is half the time. I eat it, it tastes good and I don't ask questions. I think I've had it and yes it was good. When in Rome.

    ReplyDelete