Monday 31 January 2011

HELP


I need your help. Yes you, the person reading this. I’ve made up my mind about what I want to ultimately do (I think), but I want your opinion.

A few weeks ago I blogged about how I freaked out and started to look for jobs at home in Ontario. A few days ago I got a reply email from Mill St. saying that they had a position for the summer in the lab and would like to interview me for it.

I’ve always wanted to work for Mill St. and this is my in for the Toronto brewing world, a market that is very hard to get into from the outside from what I understand. I love the beer (mostly) and I really respect them for what they do. This is like a dream job for me.

On the other hand, I’m at BrewDog. The guys who make the worlds strongest beer and some of the best I’ve had. There isn’t one beer in the profile I dislike. I also started to talk with Bowman, the head brewer, about setting up some more quality control stuff for BrewDog and help start them in the right direction since they have never had the staff before. This is also a great opportunity for me. Working for BrewDog is also a dream for me.

So I ask, what should I do?
Interview with Mill St. and get the job, leave BrewDog and move home?
Would interviewing, getting the job and declining vote in my favor or hurt future chances?
Would work as a lab tech for Mill St. look better than helping to develop the QA at BrewDog?
Would having worked for a 4th brewery within the past 12 months look better or worse on a resume (why such high turnover)?
I’m in Scotland, will I get this chance again
Will I get another opportunity with Mill St. on my next coop work term

A few points I’ve considered.
Mill St. will always be there, in Ontario and for the most part so will I
My work visa expires in less than 2 years now so I have limited time to work in the UK
The company has made me feel at home and the attitude has sunk in. “BrewDogs don’t die.” I think this means they don’t give up either

These are the questions and considerations I have asked myself and I’d like both personal and professional (from brewers) advice on this situation. I have some other things I’ve thought about but they don’t play into this as much. Get back to me ASAP if you can. I appreciate it.

Cheers guys.

1 comment:

  1. Tough call bud. Both cool breweries, but you got to go with what your gut tells ya is right. Mill St is a great brewery and could lead to a longer employment deal, and is probably more money. But BrewDog is one of those dream breweries that most brewers would kill to work at. Think this one through, decide where you want your career to go and end up and based on that decide. What ever you pick I'm sure will be the right decision.

    ReplyDelete