Saturday 22 January 2011

Paying Your Dues

This one is for the 21st. I haven't been online much since I'm out most of the time and this internet is expensive. Here it is.


This is something I’ve been told many times by many people: You have to pay your dues. No matter what field, what job, what career or what sport it needs to be done. You can’t start at the top, it just doesn’t work that way (unless you suck a lot of cock, really well I guess). Why do I bring this up? For starters, Matt Howell (yep, I’m calling you out) said that he prefers his self-cleaning mash tun, and I don’t blame him. But it is nice to see the roots before moving on just in case the situation arises where you lose the luxury. Also, this conversation happen at work today:

Mahil (guy from Israel, 2nd day working): So who gets in [the mash ton] today?
Me : you do
Mahil : Why me?
Me: because you are the new guy.
Mahil: How long am I the new guy?
Me: Probably as long as you are here.

I’ve been here for just over 2 weeks and I’m no longer the new guy. Kinda weird eh? Mahil is from isreal and arrived a few days ago. He isn’t in very good shape and bitched a lot about cleaning the mash tun and kettle. I understand that it isn’t a great job (although I love the mash tun as you may have guessed from an earlier post) but it is part of the job. He is here on a trial for an assistant brewery position. You work 2 days and complain about the job? I wouldn’t hire you and to be honest, I don’t think that he will get a job. If he does I’ll be pissed as he will make more money and will be a much shitter worker than I am (not tooting my own horn, but its true. Ok maybe I am a bit).

I realize that every job has ups and downs. I can’t think of anyone that has said everything about his or her job rocks and I doubt I will anytime soon. I’ve put in a good amount of work to meet people, get my foot in the door and learn about beer, inside and out. I’ve worked retail, promotions and now as an assistant brewer. I’m still paying my dues and I don’t think it ever changes. Even when I’m a brewer someday (I hope) I will be paying my dues. To whom you ask? To everyone who has taught me anything about beer, either brewing or tasting, and whisky. I think remembering where you “came from” is as important as what you have achieved. I know years down the road I will still look up to my buddy Matt Howell. He got me my first job in brewing, helped me with my fist homebrew on the first time meeting him, has taught me more than I can thank him for (about both beer and whisky), has let me taste some very rare whisky from his personal collection and above all else he is a great person. Adam Pines is another person I will always respect. Taught me lots, brought back a very special beer (BrewDog Paradox, even though we never drank it. I have 4 bottles of Isle of Arran btw guys) and we have had some funny drunken nights (like Matt’s story about how he “took it all in one go”).

So this guy who wants to be a brewer? I think he has had a rude awakening and won’t be so anxious to jump in over his head next time. No matter what, no matter how, pay your fucking dues. You will feel better at the end like you’ve earned something. I’d rather earn my way than be given it on a silver platter, wouldn’t you?

No comments:

Post a Comment