Tuesday 25 January 2011

Don't Cry Over Spilled Beer

I know it sounds stupid. I'm most likely to cry over spilled beer (depending on how good it is/drunk I am). Working at Brick over the summer you start to see how much beer can be lost per brew (especially when you work with Mark Jahn). Working at BrewDog for the past 3.5 weeks (yeah, it has been that long) I've seen and poured more beer down the drain than I'd like to admit to. It is stupid. They do find ways to save some of the beer that they would otherwise pour out but it is just a small fraction. If I were to guess, I'd say that I pour about 20 L a day down the drain and that isn't including other people doing a similar job.

You can lose beer when you are taking yeast out of the bottom port, hops out of the bottom port, filtration, bottling, kegging or even packaging (if you drop it). So many ways to lose beer. It also takes about 6 L of water to make 1 L of beer so pouring it out is even sadder. (This comes from cleaning and stuff on top of brewing).

I can tell you one thing: The final product is the shit and well worth the wasted part.

No comments:

Post a Comment