Tuesday 25 January 2011

Similarities and Differences - Part 2

This post is for yesterday, the 24th.


As I continue my journey to understand the Scottish people I keep noticing more differences. Some are funny, some are stupid and some are just weird.

1)   Where’s Waldo. Yeah, this one is stupid. We were trying to fit a ton of boxes into a car and I joked that it was harder than Where’s Waldo. I got a few odd looks. I explained who Waldo was and learned that it is “Where’s Wally”. Apparently here they have a show where he walks on the beach and has a 6 pack (one of the office girls was saying how amazing he was. He’s a nerd!!). I’ve never seen Waldo on TV and hearing that, I don’t really want to

2)   Showering. Here apparently it is very common to turn the shower water on from outside the bathroom before you get in. This kind of sucks as you can forget to turn it off and have to get up again (which I’m doing now) or forget to turn it on when you get in. Also, on is down and down is off.


3)   Pitchers of beer. Apparently it is very uncommon to find a bar where you can get a pitcher. Instead you buy pints, ½ pints or 1/3 pints. They do know what pitchers are however and I tried to explain the advantage when taking a round back to a table. It is a supported idea but very rare.

4)   Pubs. Pubs here are amazing. Very dimly lit, soft and nice inside. No sticky floors, no shitty mixed drinks and walls of whisky. The one horrible thing is that the pubs are not obligated to serve food at all. It is rare to find a pub that does serve food. I’ve raved aobut how pubs have to serve food in Canada and people love the idea. Eat dinner, get drunk, and order more food at 1 am. Thinking about it now, it does fucking rock. Oh Canada!!

Just a few more things I’ve noticed in my time here. No matter how cool this place is, Canada is cooler (minus the craft beer, the whisky and the accents).

No comments:

Post a Comment