Thursday 13 January 2011

Similarities, differences and everything in between

When I first got here, everything was so different. SO different to the point that I didn't care for it.

What was I expecting? Of course it is different. I'm 20 hours away from everything and everyone I know, working as an assistant brewer and learning the art and science hands on. There is no way it could be the same. There are a few things I've learned so far that I enjoy and want to share incase you find yourself over here.

Language
I know they speak english. and when Homer says speaking english is for the English, he is right. Scots speak scottish. Although close to english it is VERY different. I've learned and heard words like "canny" which is careful. Guess what "Fit like" means. It means how are you. No way to peace that together, not even in context of a sentence. I've not only been learning scottish but also some australian as well. I work with 2 aussies almost everyday so I really don't know how my "accent" will be in the end. Hopefully a mix of canadian (mostly), scottish and aussie. Combining them would give, at least in my head, a very powerful and loud voice with some cool slang (scottish), with that nice romantic aussie sound but keeping the intelligent and charming canadian as the strong point. I'm a bit biased but fuck it, this is my blog. We call things different names, but that is expected. I learn from they and they learn from me. They don't know Irish car bombs here, which is odd I thought. One thing they do have, the Wizard staff. That shit is universal.

Setting
As I've mentioned previously, I'm on the coast. A place I've never lived and yet it feels like home. Sure, Hamilton has a lake right there but it smells like shit and is toxic I'm pretty sure. I'm living on the north sea, one of the coldest bodies of water around. The sea is beautiful and I enjoy seeing it everyday regardless of the fact that North means cold. It is so cool. I'm also at a bed and breakfast which is a new one. I don't do these places ever. It is usually a hotel with no breakfast and just a place to sleep. This is weird. I'm in someone else's house and they make me food everyday. The diet is REALLY heavy and I can't do it much longer, but warm food to start the day is great. I still prefer cereal, even ask anyone I live with (especially michelle as she makes pancakes and I'll still take my cheerios). Working is so crazy to look at. After work we grab a beer or two and chat for a while. In a circle there is me (the canadian), up to 2 aussies, a german, polish guys, from 2 to 4 scots and an english guy. What a crazy mix of people from all over the world. I guess beer really is the common factor amongst men (and women not to discriminate. Why are women so touchy anyway? Who gave them a vote... Sorry).

In the end, it is the same. I'm a person, you are a person and that person over there (yes there --->) is a person. We are all people and deserve to be treated like people. I've been treated well and I've treated everyone well. Its a mutual respect thing that is global. If a pint happens to be the reason, all the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment