Thursday 20 January 2011

Expectations - Waste of time


And for today, the 20th.

I feel that I might have written about expectations already, but not in full detail like I am about to. Expectations are absolute shit. They can be good, when you underestimate what is going to happen and then it surpasses it. More often, for myself at least, I feel that I overestimate how great something will be.

I came expecting to sit in a nice warm room that was prearranged for me while I typed this. I expected to work about 8 hour shifts doing beer analysis all day and I expected to not miss home or my friends. Man, was I wrong.

I work long hours as I’ve told you doing much more than sitting around. I got here to no ride and a bed and breakfast and I missed home and my friends WAY more than anyone expected. These expectations nearly ruined it for me. NEARLY. I was told when I was heading over to not have any expectations about my trip. I tried not to, I really did. I did expect 2 things. I expected it to be cold and I expected it to be an amazing experience. I was right about both but my expectations I had that I didn’t think about, like those mentioned above, nearly ruined the 2nd expectation that I had knowingly. Looking out now, this is a great adventure so far and it looks bright for the future. Everyday I just want to stay more and I’ve had thoughts about staying after august is over (which I’m not doing, but It’s a cool thought).

I’d like to say that I will NEVER have expectations again, but that would be a lie. Once you come to a realization that your expectations are both conscious and unconscious you can deal with it better and be ready no matter which way the wind blows. Excitement can overshadow expectations, but I’d advise that you try and see past it. Use that excitement and make it a positive attitude and I think (which I realize might not have a lot of merit) that you will be better off, I know I would have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment