Wednesday 16 February 2011

Fosters Should be Embarrassed

(This beauty is for Feb 12th. I'm going to get some good blogging done these 2 days off and I'll be caught up... hopefully.)


And anyone who drinks it has no idea why.

A few days ago it was brought to my attention that Fosters, the Australian brewer, has made a claim on their website that is neither accurate or correct.

“Unlike most beer, [our hops] are added at the end of the boil to preserve freshness”

Holy shit. For most of you it won’t make sense why this is incorrect and I’m not saying you should understand. I’ll tell you why it is wrong of them to say that.

EVERY FUCKING BREWERY ADDS LATE HOPS – I’d challenge someone to find one that doesn’t. This just makes me mad because the general public would believe this bollocks (new vocabulary word). I think that everyone should learn about beer (as part of an undergraduate chemistry degree?) so this shit doesn’t happen. Oh, and don’t learn from a brewers website unless they are a craft brewer who care about what they do.

LATE HOP ADDITIONS DO NOT PRESERVE FRESHNESS
Hops are RARELY brought in fresh to a brewery. They typically come in pellets or as whole leaf hops, which are vacuum packed in bags to allow for worldwide travel and to extend shelf life. Hops are typically added 2 times during the boil. The start for the bittering qualities as the alpha acids break down while the aromatics and flavours are lost. Late in the boil you don’t allow the aromas and flavours to escape and give beers that nice fresh aroma and add no bitterness.

I found this on Pete Brown's (who I brewed an Imperial Pilsner with) beer blog and I've taken a lot of stuff from it. It is hard for me to add stuff since he hit all the points but this is just easier than sharing his link and makes me look less lazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment