Sunday 6 February 2011

Happy one month anniversary to me!!


Two days ago I on February 4th I left Toronto at 8 pm. A month ago yesterday I landed in Heathrow and caught my connecting flight to Aberdeen. I also arrived at BrewDog later that day. I was finally here.

A month ago today, I was working my first shift at the brewery. I was freezing cold (which I still am everyday) and had no idea why the hell I was here. I was in the mash tun, de-hopping tanks and mostly just watching the process happen around me. I was homesick and tired beyond all belief. A lot has changed in a month.

I have started to become very comfortable and feel very at home. I’m going out to pubs with friends from work, I’m no longer the new guy (I was the new guy for about 2 weeks. Turnover here is high if you couldn’t guess) and I’m one of the team. Usually interns would be doing lots of watching for the first while but I’ve been thrown right into the mix and I love it. I can nearly brew on my own, I’m already starting to learn filtration and I’ve got all the tank actions down. Due to the loss of a brewer over the past week I’m officially (and fingers crossed permanently) an assitant brewer. The past month I’ve also been thrown into the mix with packaging but they have hired a few new guys so it looks like I’m in the clear. The responsibility I’ve already been given is quite a bit and it won’t be slowing down any time soon. Yep, things are good.

I’ve also found out where I’ll be living. I’m moving in later this week (yes, I’m still at the B&B) with Red, Jack and Franz. The Danish guy is also moving in with me to the place so you have a Canadian, 2 aussies, a German and a Dane as well as jack’s friend from the US Keegan living together. I have the feeling that the next few months will be a bit of a party.

I better buckle up, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment