Wednesday 16 February 2011

Is Organic Really That Good?


I hate this organic thing. Realistically it is a marketing thing and as far as flavour goes I’ve yet to have a beer that is certified organic that has tasted better than a non-organic one. Mill St. has an organic lager but it tastes like any other craft lager. It is light, the BU’s are low and it really doesn’t’ have much more to it. It is a well made beer and I’m by no means knocking it since this is what lagers are about but it would be hard to distinguish from Amsterdam’s Blonde beer which is an all natural product. I don’t think the pesticides they use to keep costs low do not affect the flavour. Yes pesticides are harmful to the environment and avoiding the use of them is a good idea but there are times and places where it makes very little difference. If you think that organic tastes better that is cool but I need to ask: Is organic or all natural better? Is organic or locally sourced ingredients more important to you?

It doesn’t matter to me if it is organic or all natural. What matters to me is if the beer tastes good. It really is all about a great tasting product in the end for me and it should be for you.

As someone who might open a brewery in the future I would like to think that people would prefer to buy a local beer instead of an organic one since my beer would be local. This might sound like me asking for you to buy my beer if I open one (which it kind of is) but more importantly I ask that you support all small local craft breweries because what they do is hard and they put a lot of work into it. I mean, those small breweries are the reason I’m in Scotland right now.

Do me and yourself a favour and try Nickel Brook, Camerons, Wellington, Flying Monkey, Mill St. and any other craft beer around. These guys make wicked beer and it isn’t organic for the most part but it is all natural and they do it very well. Get a few Mill St. organic lagers and put them beside an Amsterdam Blonde lager and see if you can taste a difference. Then go out and buy any all natural craft beer. I guess this isn’t’ really about organic beer anymore but this is my blog.

Long live craft beer!!

1 comment:

  1. The notion that pesticides are harmful to the environment is actually a fallacy these days. It used to be (with DDT and other such chemicals) that these pesticides were more harmful, but now, thanks to chemists, the environmental detriment due to pesticides is much lower than those due to natural alternatives. That being the case, Fuck organic beer

    ReplyDelete