Tuesday 22 March 2011

March 18- Edinburgh. There...

Holy shit. This was by far the best trip I've taken in a long time and sadly it was only 2 days.

The train ride down was relatively easy but I had to be up early to get a bus. Then I had to get a railcard. What a headache that was. Stupid machines don't work very well. Anyway.

As soon as I got off the bus Chris, the guy I was meeting who is good friends with Matt, noticed me (well probably the BrewDog box) and we headed off to drop the beers at his flat. We then headed to the oldest pub in scotland, The Sheeps Heid. Was a cool little pub, very dark and quite with lots of cask ales on. We got a half pint of Flying Dutchman Wit and Sharps Doom bar. Neither were too bad and I drank the whole thing.

Next we headed into the city centre and walked around to a number of places like the castle and I got a brief history of the city and how amazing merderous it is. Bad ass. We  hit up another bar for another half each and shared a Lagavulin distillers edition. Fucking amazing. Those guys still remain to be my favourite distillery. The pub was a very typical old man pub but it was still awesome. Next we shot across the street for what was essentially a pulled pork. This was also something that I haven't eaten since I left and it was a nice treat. We then headed up to the new BrewDog bar to check it out. It was cool but I learned a lot about pub details what I'd never think of without Chris telling me. Some very interesting stuff. After a beer each and chatting with Ed the new manager we headed to Malones, a typical Irish pub. It might be the most spectacular pub I've ever seen. 2 Floors and tons of space. Keep in mind it was the 17th the day before so everyone was out for St. Patty's day.

We then walked past the cafe where Harry Potter was written and I saw the 2 schools that Hogwarts is based upon. Any jealous fans? Don't be, we only had 2 pints with JK. No big deal.

Then we went to another pub to meet up with Chris's friend. If you haven't guessed yet, the trip turned into a pub crawl. What better way to see a city? Touristy shit is a waste of time and money. Moving on.

After that we headed out for a bit of candy, Double Decker for me and gummies for Chris, and walked to another pub. To be fair, these pubs were far enough apart so it wasn't like binge drinking and I had more brief history lessons and got some cool pics like this one.

Finally we ended up meeting up with Sean, another good friend of Chris and Matt, and we headed to one of the previous pubs for a pint to wait for Chris's friend. After that we headed to the BrewDog bar again and had a samples, Penguin, Hardcore and a few other pints. Kerry did forget my discount so she owes me one. I'm keeping track. After that we got some food, I had deep fried sausage. Yep, eating super healthy. Then to finish we went to beerhaus for a Delirium Nocturnum and a Guinness Export stout.

We then headed back and grabbed a last minute bit of food. Fish and chips and homemade banoffee pie. Amazing, I was so full by this point but had another beer. We then just watched some college humour with Andy, Chris's flat mate, before sleeping. It was badass.

Thoughts on the new BrewDog bar.
Louder music, brighter, younger crowd, worse layout, still good beer.

Thoughts on cask ale
I actually like a nice pint of cask ale now that I've had it properly. I'm glad I'm open minded (and that Sean and Chris didn't give me much of a choice)

No comments:

Post a Comment