Tuesday 22 March 2011

March 20th - The music that shaped who I am

I've been thinking recently about the music that really has shaped who I am and the bands that were dominnant in the key stages of my growing up. There is a trend so pay attention.

Blink 182 - These guys are hard to hate. They are fun, loud, in your face and just plain catchy. Textbook Californian punk rock. These guys were my first taste of rebellion and since they are a fun band it was easy to jump on board. They took up about the 12-14 year old times. Mixed with skateboarding how can one lose?

Billy Talent- These guys were my progression into more hardcore mild rebellion. The next step from Blink to a more adult oriented adult themes like suicide, drug use and mental instability. THe fact that they were local didn't hurt either. Like Blink they just rocked out and had a very hard sound that I really enjoyed.

Bob Dylan- It was in grade 10 when I was 16 I first heard this thanks to my history teacher Ms. Collis. I owe her a lot since I'm pretty sure this was the most influential music I've ever listened to. I connected with the lyrics and the wide range of styles with ease. He just spoke to me (in his twangy BD voice of course) but I just understood what he was going on about. I was a compulsive listener for years and still am from time to time these days. Much different than the previous 2 bands mentioned. I've seen him live and it was like listening to a Dog play music. But it was still awesome and I love it all.

Blur Rodeo - These guys are not as country as you may think. The older stuff is more rock and the newer stuff is getting more country (due to their age I assume). They were introduced based on the gounds that if I liked Bob Dylan's rough voice I'd like Keelor's. UB was right, I did. It also became one thing that Michelle and I really shared and could connect over. I love what music can do for you. Seen them live 3 or 4 times. Great show.

Bruce Springsteen- The. Fucking. Boss. Enough said, but I'll say some more. This was again introduced by UB a few months after Blue Rodeo but I never got into it until a year or 2 later. It must have been the lyricism again and the very rock and roll style I liked because it was a blend of the past bands. Fun, poetic, up beat and catchy. Attitude is everything and the Boss has a lot of it but its positive. Oddly enough I always connected with the darker depressing side of his music (and the others as well) for the first while before liking the other stuff as much or more. I'm not sure why but I think it contributes to my generally happy attitude. I've seen him live. Twice.

Notice the theme? They all start with a B. Yeah, I love my first letter of my first name a lot.

Now let me ask. What bands shaped you?

No comments:

Post a Comment