Tuesday 22 March 2011

March 19- Edingburgh. ..and back again

After we got up we headed to Stewarts Brewing company on the outskirts of town to check it out after hitting up Cornelius, a super cool bottle shop where I got a few beers. Stewarts is tiny and they were bottling when we got there. Everything by hand. 12 cases an hour. All day. I couldn't really believe it as I've seen them so many places. Oh well. We then headed back into the city and went for a walk around a few sites with great views of the city. Check it


We then headed down to Caledonian where Chris left as he had to work that night and was dead tired. Sean met me at the gate and we headed inside for a tour. I will say it is the most old school macro brewery every. Open top direct flame coppers, open fermentation, fairly manual brewhouse. I was shocked to say the very least.


We then headed down to the pub and i had a bit of soup with a pint of the 80/- (again cask, again didn't mind it).

The train back was easy and I slept on both that and the bus. What a good weekend.

I've come back a changed man. New opinions on beer, cask ale, BrewDog and how much I like cities. I hope I can get back down for longer than 2 days soon.

Chris and Sean, thanks for the beers, a place to crash, more beers and the tour of the city. It was the highlight of my trip so far and very well may stay that way (depending on what other travelling I do).

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment