Saturday 16 April 2011

April 14- Passion

There are a few things in life that I feel, as do many others, that can't truly be appreciated until experienced. Sex, drugs, rock and roll are a few good examples (not that I'd do any of those....)

There is also a crucial one we all strive to find and sadly some never do. Passion.

Passion is an ever elusive things that evades people their whole lives and to me that seems sad. I've said it before, I'm so lucky I've found mine, at least 2 times now. Magic was my passion but I realized that a life of it wasn't for me. Beer is now my passion.

I love beer. I love everything about beer. The history, the process, the science and of course drinking it. I tell people that I love beer and they instantly tend to assume I'm a developing alcoholic. Don't worry, I'm not. I've debated many times with people about what alcohol is meant for. I'd argue that it is meant to be enjoyed and tasted rather than thrown back as quickly as possible MOST OF THE TIME. There are times when shots are just required by law (well, not quite but I'm sure you get my drift). People argue that it is only good for getting drunk and while it does that very well there is so much more to it for me. Why is it different for me? Because I care about it, love it and understand it. Most people sadly do not do any of those, except maybe love it one 26er at a time. Now those are alcoholics.

I don't think it is very fair that when I tell people I love beer they think I'm a drunk. Would you tell a chef that he is a fat ass overeating loser just because he likes food? Or a model train collector an isolated loser due to his hobby even though he may be socially adjusted and party like a rock star? You might if it were true, and thanks to stereo types we all think they are.

I'd also like to point out that having a beer a day does not qualify me as a boozer. I'd be an alcoholic if I needed it to live but I've had many days without beer this week. Also if you look up the symptoms I have none.

So I ask you. If you can't understand passion due to a personal lack of knowledge or call me an alcoholic based on stereotypes could you kindly fuck off? and if not, then do so unkindly, I don't mind either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment