Friday 29 April 2011

April 25- Good Beer Weekend


About a day ago I found out that this weekend is some sort of “Drink and enjoy good beer” weekend. I felt I should be the one to tell most of you about it since I doubt you follow Pete Brown, Zak Avery or Mark Dredge on their blogs (I forget who posted it). I’ll keep it short and simple. Go out, get good craft beer, sit outside if its nice and enjoy. I’ll make a few recommendations based on the nice weather that I hope we all get.

Hoptical Illusion from Flying Monkey’s – This is a great, and potentially only, example of an ”almost pale ale.” This beer is decently bitter with a really nice aroma, lots of resiny hop flaours and super tasty from the dry hopping (I process I respect on a whole new level now) they do. I can’t remember all the details (I’ve been away too long) but you might enjoy it out on the patio.

Organic Lager from Mill St. or Steam Whistle Pilsner – 2 good examples of light, slightly hoppy (more so the Steam Whistle) lager style beers that are perfect after mowing the lawn or just chilling with the boys. Look for these this weekend when you are at the LCBO or Beer store. Can’t go wrong. (P.s. Steam Whistle got me into craft beer so if you are nervous it’s a good starter).

Wellington County Dark from Wellington Brewery – This beer is a safety if you have a colder weekend than expected. Nice malty body with a slight hop finish keeping it from being too sweet makes it a nicer beer for cooler weather or after the sun goes down. A really good craft brewer from Guelph (with a really nice Brewmaster) that are worth checking out on this “enjoy good beer weekend.”

Scottish Style Ale from Neustadt- A cozy little cottage brewery that makes some really nice stuff. This is also a late night beer and has a great maltiness to it that is like a hug for you stomach. Ok, not quite but the flavours are bang on.

I hope you get out and get a chance to try some of these. If you have had them get to the shop and look at the Ontario Craft Beer section most LCBO’s have and find something new. I’m sure you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment